What DO Teens Want?

9:49 PM 12 Comments A+ a-

Publisher’s Weekly recently published an article, “What Do Teens Want?” by Carol Fitzgerald that’s been receiving a lot of attention from librarians serving teens.  Fitzgerald names the growth of the Young Adult literary market (a 5.1% projected sales increase) with higher grossing areas for specific genres often fueled by the YA market (like scifi/fantasy which is supposed to experience a 13% increase).

While the author acknowledges that certainly there are plenty of adults interested in these books because of the recent phenomenon of books like the Twilight saga, the fact remains that teens are the ones causing that very phenomena, placing a great deal of power in the hands of this specific demographic.  Publishers are naturally very interested in a group of such heavy readers as they are desperate to figure out how to market to them in five and ten years.


Using the readership of teenreads.com (230,000 viewers a month), a survey was given to answer some burning questions.  Naturally, as any librarian knows, the responders were largely female (96%) due to the site’s emphasis on fiction and the fact that most YA fiction is read by girls (at least to the point that they’d want to talk about).  The survey also had a mostly younger teen audience (only 37% were 16 to 18 years of age, the remainder younger than this) so these results might be of particular relevance to middle school librarians.

Because of the fact that it’s obvious to any school librarian how shockingly overscheduled kids are, I was most interested in the number of books respondents reported to read and during what time periods.  Forty-one percent reported reading over 20 books during the summer, with 26% reading 11-20 books and 18% reading six to 10 books.  That’s 85% of these students reading at least six books over the summer.  Granted, the readership of teenreads.com I doubt is comprised of casual readers, but nevertheless it shows how kids will read when more time is available.

But these readers don’t stick to just YA authors.  They listed Mitch Albom, Jane Austen, Meg Cabot (who I actually consider more of a YA author, but whatever), Agatha Christie, Mary Higgins Clark, Suzanne Collins, Michael Crichton, Janet Evanovich, John Grisham, Charlaine Harris, Sophie Kinsella, Dean Koontz, George Orwell, Chuck Palahniuk, James Patterson, Jodi Picoult, David Sedaris, Nicholas Sparks and John Steinbeck as favorite adult authors that they’d consider as well.  Isn’t that an interesting mix?  We have a lot of these folks on the shelf, but I’m going to need to check and make sure we’ve got a complete oeuvre. 

And as for the format (hardcover v. paperback) they prefer, it seems close enough that I don’t need to worry with 79% liking paperbacks and 74% preferring hardcover.  Only 6% like ebooks as their format right now, so I’ll be interested to see if that number grows after Barnes and Noble starts heavily marketing the Nook, aka their version of the Kindle in stores.  All of my teens LOVE hanging out at Barnes & Noble which is the place to see and be seen.

With the publishing industry as the focus of the survey, naturally the book buying habits of these kids were their focus.  Forty-four percent of kids indicated that their book buying habits had changed due to the economy with 54% naming visiting the library as their main habit change.  Sixty-eight percent share the cost of book purchasing with their parents (go parents!).

What really grabbed me was the data on “what would enhance their shopping experience”.  More books to chose from (63% came in first) but check out what was second – 48% wanted more book reviews and recommendations from “experts”.  Isn’t that interesting?  It’s important to be reminded how overwhelming a bookstore is for someone who doesn’t read all the professional journals and can pick out the good presses and know the latest reviews.  Events with favorite authors came in as important to 45% and comfortable places to sit (check!) got 40% of people clicking the radio button.  With any luck, our new “book discussion” group (which has as its mission booktalking books to each other rather than reading the same book, important as 83% of respondents named peer recommendations as the reason they will read a book) will fit this bill but I really need to think about adding in reviews (maybe I can use Titlewave to grab them?) to the display process.  Hmmm…

Tweaking the library webpage also came to mind as well as taking advantage of the MARC record field where we can embed companion websites.  Over 85% of teens reported visiting the websites of their favorite authors for information about upcoming titles and 65% would love to see the author in person at an in store event.  Only 19% utilized social networking sites for author interaction (and I couldn’t help thinking of my AWESOME new Facebook friend, Scott Westerfeld!) so clearly I’m a passé geek or total pioneer in author interaction.  I’m leaning toward the former.


Blogs (I’m guessing author blogs?) and specifically “book and reader blogs” were also named as sources of interaction or information (32% and 31% respectively).  Maybe the author website can go in the MARC record but we could have a section on the website for the blogs that might be the most popular (with a link to a screencast on how to use Google Reader for efficient browsing).  Still 58% of them don’t read author blogs at all, and my curiosity is piqued – is this because they don’t know how awesome they are? Because they don’t read other blogs?  Respondents have great taste in who they do read – authors named were Libba Bray, Meg Cabot, Ally Carter, P.C. Cast, Cassandra Clark, Zoey Dean, Sarah Dessen, John Green, Richelle Mead, Stephenie Meyer, Christopher Paolini, James Patterson, Tamora Pierce, Sarah Shepard, Melissa Walker and Scott Westerfeld.  Considering most of these are in my “Author Blogs” list, I feel that discerning book readers are good blog readers as well!

12 comments

Write comments
August 07, 2011 5:16 AM delete

So you're basically saying there's still hope and young girls read something beyond Twilight similar crap.

Good.

Reply
avatar
Visha Reddy
AUTHOR
January 08, 2022 2:23 AM delete

My boyfriend said he was tired of our relationship and needed a breakup, he started avoiding me, His attitude was killing me slowly so I did research on the internet seeking help. There I saw testimonies of how lord Bubuza helped reunite couples with his spell and how he gave lottery winning numbers to people and helped them win a lottery so I immediately sent him a text: +1 984 240 7211 seeking help. He responded. He promised to help me get my boyfriend back with his spell, I did as he instructed and he casted the spell. It was like a dream because 16 hours after the spell was casted my boyfriend came back begging me on his knees to forgive and accept him back. I am so excited and now I believe Lord Bubuza is a God on Earth. Are you heart broken? Do you need help to win a lottery ? Contact Lord Bubuza via WhatsApp: +1 984 240 7211 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com

Reply
avatar
Deborah Goslings
AUTHOR
January 08, 2022 2:25 AM delete

I never thought that I would be a millionaire by winning a lottery but Lord Bubuza made it possible for me. This man is a God on Earth, I have played the lottery for years without winning so I spoke to my friend who won massively and he told how lord Bubuza gave him the winning number. I contacted lord Bubuza via WhatsApp: +1 984 240 7211 seeking help and he responded. He said a reading has to be done after which a spell will be casted and he will give me the lottery winning number. I did as he instructed and the spell was casted, lord Bubuza gave me some digits and told me when and where to play the lottery which I did and behold I won $562,600,000 Million. I am a millionaire today with the help of lord Bubuza spell and winning number. Let's eradicate poverty, I am making this testimony because Lord Bubuza is a great PSYCHICS. Contact him for help to win a lottery via WhatsApp/call/text: +1 984 240 7211 or email:: lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com

Reply
avatar
Georgi Lam
AUTHOR
January 08, 2022 2:25 AM delete

So many people have ask me so many times how I won a lottery. I was able to win $835,400,000 Million lottery with the help of Lord Bubuza. I contacted lord Bubuza for help to win a lottery when all hope was lost, I was no longer comfortable with my way of living, I was bankrupt and no firm was willing to give me a loan. Lord Bubuza told me that he will cast a spell and give me a lottery winning number, I thought he was joking. I did as he instructed and after casting the spell he gave me a lottery number and told me how and when to play the lottery. I follow his instructions and behold I won $835,400,000 dollars lottery. Lord Bubuza is a God on Earth. I am a millionaire today because of him. Contact him for help via whatsapp: +1 984 240 7211 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com

Reply
avatar
Elliot Warburton
AUTHOR
January 08, 2022 2:27 AM delete

When my wife divorced me 3 years ago, she blocked me on all social media platforms and I couldn't contact her anymore. I was in pain but as a man I tried to move on but I couldn't. All hope was lost so I spoke to a friend and he told me how lord Bubuza used his spell to restore his relationship which led to his marriage so I hurriedly contacted him Via TEXT: +1 984 240 7211 and told him my situation. He responded and told me what I needed to do so that he could cast the spell which I did. After lord Bubuza cast the spell my wife started calling me, crying and begging me to forgive and accept her back. I made a vow to myself that I will testify about lord Bubuza so others can get help too, we are happily together now. Contact lord Bubuza for help via Call/text/whatsapp: +1 984 240 7211 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework @ hotmail . com

Reply
avatar
Joyce Mason
AUTHOR
March 24, 2022 2:50 PM delete

My relationship was like hell, We fought almost everyday because of my boyfriend's cheating Habit, We have a child together but his cheating habit was breaking our relationship. I was emotionally heartbroken knowing that my boyfriend was cheating on me, my friend felt my pain and told me how Lord Bubuza used his spell to restore her broken relationship. I spoke to lord Bubuza for help via: +1-507-400-0072 and he said my boyfriend will come back begging on his knees after casting his spell, I did as he instructed and 16 hours after casting the spell my boyfriend came back crying and begging me on his knees to forgive him, lord Bubuza spell was so fast and active. He has stopped cheating and I am so safe with him now. Do you need help to win your ex back? Contact lord Bubuza via Text/call: +1-507-400-0072 or e-mail: lordbubuzamiraclework@hotmail.com

Reply
avatar
Claudia Limock
AUTHOR
March 24, 2022 2:51 PM delete

I was paid $30 per hour at work and it was a stressful job, I was researching online for a better job when I saw testimonies of how lord Bubuza helped people with his spell to help a lottery. I have not played the lottery game before so I wondered how it works, I spoke to lord Bubuza via: +1 507 400-0072 asking for help to win the lottery game too. He responded and requested for my name and picture, he said it was needed to cast a spell so that his gods will reveal to him the site where i was destined to win. I did as he instructed and the items were bought to cast the spell, after the casting of the spell he gave me a lottery number and a website which was revealed to him by the gods when he was casting the spell. I played the lottery numbers and two days later I got an email that I won $139 million dollars($139,000,000). I thought it was a joke but behold I got paid without stress. Lord Bubuza is a great Psychic, join me thank him via Text/call: +1 507 400-0072 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework @ hotmail . com

Reply
avatar
April 19, 2023 10:34 PM delete

I was paid $30 per hour at work and it was a stressful job, I was researching online for a better job when I saw testimonies of how lord Bubuza helped people with his spell to help a lottery. I have not played the lottery game before so I wondered how it works, I spoke to lord Bubuza via WhatsApp: : +1 856 409 6956 email drrichardhelp@gmail.com asking for help to win the lottery game too. He responded and requested for my name and picture, he said it was needed to cast a spell so that his gods will reveal to him the site where i was destined to win. I did as he instructed and the items were bought to cast the spell, after the casting of the spell he gave me a lottery number and a website which was revealed to him by the gods when he was casting the spell. I played the lottery numbers and two days later I got an email that I won all thank to dr.Richard for making me millionaire,I thought it was a joke but behold I got paid without stress

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
December 14, 2023 4:20 PM delete

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/70430-reclaiming-your-stolen-crypto-a-successful-recovery-with-captain-webgenesis/

Reply
avatar
Anne
AUTHOR
January 24, 2024 4:45 AM delete

Hi everyone, MY NAME IS ANNE FROM TULSA OKLAHMA, after 10 years of playing lotto game i am finally living my dream life, all thanks to Dr EBAKOLEANE, i will never forget that great man never in my entire life, i am who i am today all because of him he gave me a winning numbers to play and he prepared a lotto winning spell for me that helped me won my mega million. thank you so much Dr EBAKOLEANE, for what you have done for my entire generations, i will forever be grateful.
you can reach out to him on his info:
Email: dr.ebakoleanespellcaster@gmail.com
WhatsApp: +1661-475-8138.

Reply
avatar
jamesbelich
AUTHOR
February 20, 2024 7:09 AM delete

Winning the lottery was part of my dreams, I tried so hard to win big but all to no avail, until I came across Dr Lucas online who made my dreams come through and made me win 10 million dollars. I was a logistics manager who lives in Lancaster, S.C. and works about an hour's drive away, in Charlotte, N.C., I stopped at a store to buy a scratch-off lottery ticket during my lunch break, because Dr Lucas gave me all the assurance that the numbers are not going to fail after I did all he asked me to do. Dr lucas is a powerful Dr that is on a mission to eradicate poverty from people's lives and i have confirmed that by winning $10 million with the numbers he provided for me, it is my promise to tell the world about my experience with Dr Lucas and that's what I'm doing now, you can win the lottery fast with the help of Dr Lucas he is tested and trusted Email: Drlucasspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp +234 904 794 3567 he will help you.

Reply
avatar
Jonathan Bill
AUTHOR
March 20, 2024 9:17 AM delete

FUNDS RECOVERY WITH CAPTAIN JACK CRYPTO, Hello I will highly recommend the services of “Fund Recovery Experts1” to anyone who wishes to recover their lost money either bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies from these online scammers, wallet hackers, or if you ever sent bitcoins to the wrong wallet address. I was able to recover my lost bitcoins of $420,000 from online swindlers in less than 72 hours after contacting them. They are the best professional hackers out there and I’m truly thankful for their help in recovering all I lost. If you need their service too, here is their contact information below:

Email info - captainjackcrypto@europe.com

Reply
avatar